|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Analysis • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Blacktail Defense is a Youtube user who is a defense specialist and shares his knowledge with the world in the form of slideshows. The majority of his work is built around making technical flaws known.
His works include:
- The REAL American Vehicles: Three series devoted to blowing apart the seeming superiority the United States Army has built up. Currently encompasses three sub-series, on the Stryker family of vehicles, M1 Abrams, and M2 Bradley.
- Failed Tanks: A series devoted to tanks and other fighting vehicles that were resounding failures.
- Dare to Compare: A compare-and-contrast series which stacks an American vehicle directly against a counterpart.
- Battleship myths: A series that advocates the revival of the battleship as a military weapons system today.
- Warship disasters: A series devoted to bad warships
- Warplane disasters: A series devoted to bad warplanes
- Defense Briefs: A series dedicated to failures in military doctrine, management, strategies, weapons concepts, tactics and training.
Tropes featured and discussed in his series include:
- Crippling Overspecialization: He is quick to admit that American vehicles are really good against enemy tanks - but generally not so good against everything else. This is also why some of the vehicles in the Failed Tanks series are considered as such.
- Epic Fail: His two-part series on the M247 Sergeant York turned out to be about how the York was this - revealing incidents where the machine fired on its own spectators, among other incidents.
- Flat What: Prompted by use of the Dramatic Prairie Dog's them, when he stated that the T-55 AMV was an all-around better tank than the M 1 A 2 SEP, even though the M 1 A 2 was better against other tanks.
- Ironic Echo: Blacktail will frequently use the very same words used by the proponents of the vehicles he's deriding to support said vehicle, after a long presentation on why that vehicle is bad.