|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Analysis • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- This Troper hasn't cried at the ending since she was a kid, no, what reduces her to a sobbing pitiful and pathetic MESS is when the scientists are trying to give CPR to E.T. All you want to do is jump in the TV and push them away.
- Spielberg deliberately filmed the scene so it looks like they're hurting ET rather than trying to save him, since that's what any kid like Elliot would naturally think.
- Then there's Elliott screaming for the scientists to leave E.T. alone... then just crying when it looks like he's actually dead...
- Michael, a mature teenager, curling up among the stuffed animals in the closet to cope with his overwhelming concern for his younger brother.
- The ending, as the Extra-Terrestrial, about to depart, says goodbye to Elliot.
- And the way they both say "Ouch".
- Also E.T. dying on the operating table while Eliot gets better. "Stay... "