|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Bearing only a passing resemblance to the original Don Quixote, this was a laserdisc game released in 1984 in the vein of Dragon's Lair (the player uses a joystick to tell the character when and which way to move and a button to attack in accordance with the animation).
The player controls Don, a knight out to save his lover from a wicked witch. On the way he has to contend with bats, mummies, giant snakes, a flying totem pole, the legion of the undead, a flash flood, flying jellyfish and a ferocious dragon. Oh, and also the hands that appear out of the graves, bugs, aliens, serpents and booby traps in the witch's residence.
Super Don Quixote contains examples of the following: Edit
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Rather than an insane old coot, this Don Quixote is a young knight who's more or less competent and slays numerous monsters over the course of the game. Aside from Sancho about the only thing it has in common with the original is a scene at a windmill where Don is attacked by an actual giant this time.
- Also, it seems that this game's protagonist 'Don' in the name must be interpreted as a name, not as a title.
- Better Than It Sounds: A Dragon's Lair clone which features a young guy who has Don Quixote's name although doesn't bear any resemblance to the Don Quixote himself who fights his way through random stuff? You'll be better at showing this off rather than explaining what's going on here.
- Captain Ersatz: The Witch looks a lot like The Queen, naturally.
- And has the same alignment!
- Excuse Plot: An evil witch kidnaps the protagonist's girlfriend while the protagonist himself fights his way to the villainess's castle. Nuff said.
- Follow the Leader: This game was pretty much released during the time when Dragon's Lair was a blast. Plus, it was the same year when Space Ace was released.
- No Export for You: Never was released outside the arcades.
- No Sense of Direction: Don's search for the witch's lair takes him to a place where he fights American Indians, to what appear to be South American ruins, to Egypt...
- Press X to Not Die
- The Many Deaths of You: In the good tradition of Dragon's Lair.