|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Analysis • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Characters for "The Kingkiller Chronicle"
- The Ace: Deconstructed. It makes him arrogant, makes him stand out, makes other people jealous, and generally makes him a catalyst for all kinds of nastiness.
- All the Other Reindeer: Kvothe feels like this in the first book in the Arcanum dorm, as his quick promotion makes the others jealous.
- Break the Cutie
- Circus Brat
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Denna.
- Fiery Redhead
- Genre Blind: At times. His inability to see Elodin as the Trickster Mentor he is causes him a lot of grief, especially after beginning Elodin's class.
- Genre Savvy: Due to his Edema Ruh upbringing, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of stories. Subverted, however, in that he doesn't see these stories as applying to real life.
- Green Eyes
- Guile Hero
- Heroic Bastard: His parents were never formally married.
- I Have Many Names
- Living Legend
- Manly Tears: All the time.
- Never Be Hurt Again: He mentions this as one of several motivations for attending Wizarding School. (How truthful he was being is currently unknown -- especially since the series isn't finished yet.)
- Oblivious to Love
- Redheaded Hero
- Stranger in a Strange School
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Denna.
- Too Clever by Half
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Gold Digger: Although Denna doesn't exhibit some of the more extreme characteristics of the trope, such as self-entitlement. Somewhat justified as it is one of the few options available to a woman with no dowry, though Denna does seem to enjoy the game.
- Harp of Femininity
- Living Lie Detector: For Kvothe.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Denna's real name is unknown but everyone calls her by some other name she gave to them, usually along the lines of Dianne or Dineh or some other "d" word.
- The Tragic Rose
- Tsundere: She clearly likes Kvothe, no one doubts this. But like the paladin who is immune to Std's and loses this ability the moment he uses it, Kvothe showing reciprocity is what turns her off. It's like a bizarre Prisoner's Dilemma for the both.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Kvothe.
- Unwitting Pawn: There is evidence that she was sent to the wedding in Trebon as a spy.
- Walking the Earth
- Women Are Wiser: Well, she's certainly street wise.
Kvothe's Friends Edit
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Compared to those around him, at least.
- Class Clown: "Technically he played the joke on the lute." ... "Sorry."
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Good Is Not Dumb
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness
- Nice Guy
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With Wilem. Simmon is the Red Oni.
- Serial Romeo: Can't keep a girl to stay with him for more than a week until Fela.
- Afraid of Blood
- Deadpan Snarker
- Funny Foreigner
- Never Gets Drunk
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With Simmon. Willem is the Blue Oni.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: When she is made Re'lar for knowing the name of stone.
- Hot Librarian
- Ms. Fanservice
- Wrench Wench
- Dark and Troubled Past: Undoubtedly.
- Mysterious Waif: If you consider her gifts of a key, coin and candle, which are known as Taborlin the Great's tools...
- The Ophelia: Completely.
- Why Did It Have to Be a Moonless Night?
The Edema Ruh Troupe Edit
Arliden (Kvothe's Father) Edit
Laurian/ Lady Netalia Lackless (Kvothe's Mother) Edit
- Rule of Seven: Trip throws sevens on dice. This is not an example of Lucky Seven, as seven is not a lucky number to throw when playing dice (because it's only an average throw, and you can never roll doubles).
- Mysterious Past: Implied, based on his claim of connections and his evident light treatment at the hands of the Tehlin church despite his heresy.
- The Storyteller
The Masters Edit
Master Herma (The Chancellor) Edit
Master Elodin Edit
Master Kilvin Edit
- Actual Pacifist
- The Blacksmith, who is trying to be The Ultimate Blacksmith
- Foreign Language Tirade: "Skethe Te Reta Vann!" Translation? "Shit in God's Beard"
- Gentle Giant: Despite his scruffy exterior, Kilvin is a pacifist, is fair in judgment and generous to those who earn it.
Master Lorren Edit
Master Hemme Edit
Master Elxa Dal Edit
Master Arwyl Edit
- Consummate Professional: Despite his casual demeanor, Arwyl is serious about medical ethics and protocol.
Master Brandeur Edit
Master Mandrag Edit
Imre and the University Edit
- No Sell: Literally. Is able to resist Ambrose's powers simply by refusing to sell his inn.
Count Threpe Edit
Ambrose Jakis Edit
- Cloudcuckoolander: Man, there's a lot of them in this story....
The Maer's Court Edit
Maer Rand Alveron Edit
- Too Clever by Half: Invoked, in those exact words, by Kvothe as narrator, besides being true
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Dagon's approach to his job, according to the Maer
Lady Meluan Lackless Edit
- Meaningful Name: Probably a double subversion. The similar-sounding caduceus (☤) is a symbol often used in America for the medical industry. However, this usage is historically incorrect: the caduceus is rather a symbol of commerce, and is considered inappropriate as a symbol of medicine because commerce often involves theft, deception, and death.
Lord Praevek Edit
- Gossipy Hens: Most of the Maer's Court is this, but Lord Praevek is the most gossipy of all of them.
The Mercenaries Edit
- The Archer
- Scarily Competent Tracker
- However, he was able to teach Kvothe and Tempi his techniques, so somewhat justified.
The Adem Edit
The Fae Edit
- All Lowercase Letters: her dialogue is all lower case, except for the word "I", her own name, and the Cthaeh. other names (like kvothe) are not capitalized.
- Glory Seeker: although the glory she seeks is not the typical one for this trope.
- Rhymes on a Dime
The Cthaeh Edit
- The Omniscient: According to Bast.
The Chandrian Edit
- Casting a Shadow
- Dark Is Evil
- Even Evil Has Standards: Haliax rebukes Cinder and the other Chandrian for being too cruel.
- Flying Dutchman
Legendary characters Edit
Taborlin the Great Edit
- Friend to All Living Things: Illien could apparently tame wild animals by playing music to them; this legend was amusingly parodied by Kvothe's father.
- Wandering Minstrel
- Meaningful Name: In universe, Aleph is either a god or the first person to discover naming, depending on whose story you believe. In real life, aleph is the the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, but in mathematics it is used as the symbol for transfinite numbers (essentially different kinds of infinity).
Newarre (scenes from the framing device) Edit
- Only Sane Man: Or perhaps only normal man. He writes things down...and happens to be chilling with Kvothe the Kingkiller and a member of the Fae.
- Red Baron: He's not a chronicler, he's The Chronicler.
- Smarter Than You Look: He looks big and dumb (as Bast notes) but proves himself more capable than anyone in town.