|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Analysis • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The first novel by award-winning author Michael Chabon, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh (1988) is a coming of age story following a young man, Art Bechenstein, as he finishes college and falls in a with a new group of friends in the following summer. Furthermore, his background as the son of a member of an organized crime family also complicates his relationships with his new friends and lovers.
It was adapted into a film in 2009, which was not well-received.
This book provides examples of: Edit
- Betty and Veronica: Phlox and Arthur for Art.
- Bi the Way: Art.
- Closet Key: Arthur for Art.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Phlox
- Coming of Age Story
- Downer Ending
- Ending Memorial Service: For Cleveland.
- Heteronormative Crusader: Phlox
- Love Triangle: Art falls into a bisexual one, torn between Arthur and Phlox.
- The Mafia: Art's father is a senior member.
- Mafia Prince: Art could be a considered one right down to Mafia henchmen scaring away his lover Arthur.
- Meaningful Funeral: For Cleveland at the end of the book.
- Pittsburgh: The setting, almost a character in itself.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Art is searching for a way to win his father's approval.