|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Analysis • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The 1973 Film of the Book by John Jay Osborn, adapted and directed by James Bridges. A first-year student at Harvard Law School, James Hart (Timothy Bottoms) struggles to balance his course load and a covert romance with the daughter (Lindsay Wagner) of his most rigorous professor (John Houseman).
There was also a TV series from 1978-79 (CBS) and 1983-86 (Showtime). Houseman reprised his role, while Hart was played by James Stephens.
The Paper Chase features examples of: Edit
- Blessed with Suck: Kevin has a photographic memory, which is absolutely useless for analyzing matters of law.
- Calling the Old Man Out: "You... are a son of a bitch, Kingsfield!"
- Fanservice: Two group shower scenes, one solo shower scene, and a handful of scenes featuring a Speedo-clad Hart at the pool or beach.
- Ho Yay: Ford's "Wanna get drunk?" invitation to Hart may be ambiguous, but the latent acrimony between Bell and O'Connor reeks of a failed affair.
- Improbably High IQ: Ford casually tries to impress Hart by citing his IQ of 190. He fails, because Hart's genius undergrad roommate couldn't pass the LSAT.
- John Williams: Composed the original music.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Hart idolizes Professor Kingsfield, who doesn't even admit to recognizing him at the end of the school year.